An Article from NPR: 100 Composers Under 40
Click here to read the NPR article: 100 Composers Under 40
I found this article this morning through NPR and thought it would be a great thing to share with students. In my middle school general music classes we cover composers and music from each major historical period from the Middle Ages through the Romantic Period. If we have time, we touch on some more modern music and film music, but never anything very recent.
As a result, I often find myself wondering whether students realize that music is still being composed (beyond what most of them listen to on the radio or on their iPods). I feel like it is important for students to know that music composition is still happening today. This will hopefully give them a sense that what we're studying is still relevant, sort of like realizing that studying American history is related to the current American government.
This article from NPR presents a list of 100 composers under the age of 40. When someone visits the page, a musical selection by one of the composers is randomly chosen and played. I think seeing this list could benefit students; asking them to do some kind of research on a current composer would be even better (given time and resources).
Finally, the NPR website in general is a good one to bookmark as a source of music news and current events.
No comments:
Post a Comment